Monday, August 6, 2007

Net Present Value.

There is a very interesting concept in finance called NPV. It is the value today of an asset tomorrow , i.e. the current value of 200 000 Rs in 2015 for example. Apparently you can know beforehand what the present value of a future cash flow is. This set me thinking ( and I think really fast with a big dose of Bacardi inside me) can this concept be extended to real life as well ?.
I mean can I put a current value to future pleasure’s or sorrows?
Can I put a value to a future relationship? Or does a past relationship really fulfill the promise of its NPV then?
For example there were a few times in my past life when I thought that this is finally it, this is the women that I am going to settle down with. But it only happened when I finally met Jasmine . The NPV of those relationships at that time looked pretty promising but nothing came of them, so it cannot be extended to life, can it?
Guess not , a lot of friendships which I never thought would end have withered away over the years making me a little bit pessimistic ( I like to call it realistic ) towards life in general and friendships in particular. As it is said “good things don’t last” .This is particularly true of relationships, good relationships seldom last long. So enjoy the sunshine while it lasts , make merry , drink Bacardi , smoke a cigarette , curse the professor for giving you an assignment but enjoy every moment of it ‘cos guess what, the NPV of life in the future is nothing.

1 comment:

Venkat S Murthy said...

wonderful post man..,
at the first sight , it made no big deal ,
when i read it for the 2nd time , i was damn impressed,
very good post...,

can i post a link to this article in my blog?!?!